[Beowulf] Distros - Fermi, Scientific Linux

Lyle Bickley lbickley at bickleywest.com
Mon Jul 21 10:52:34 PDT 2008

It's been several months since RGB and others discussed Fermi Linux
(https://fermilinux.fnal.gov/), and there was some discussion on this list of
Scientific Linux (https://www.scientificlinux.org/) a few months ago.

I just revisited these distro's sites after reading the August issue of "Linux
Journal" - which discussed both in its "Upfront" section. It appears that
Fermi Linux basically supports their own users - while Scientific Linux has
broader more general support. Both are based on Red Hat Enterprise sources.

A major premise for using either distro is their claim for long term support
(LTS).

I'm curious to know how many folks on this list use either distro and what has
been your experience (and usefulness) of LTS?

I'd also like to hear from folks who tried either and moved elsewhere for
their distro (and why).

Regards,
Lyle
--