[Beowulf] Parallel Development Tools

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Oct 17 11:23:06 PDT 2007

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007, Jon Tegner wrote:

> Drifting off a bit further, but as I see it, the biggest advantage of FC over
> debien/ubuntu is kickstart. Or???

I don't know if that question has an easy answer.  Kickstart is
certainly AN advantage in certain environments, but Debian will install
automagically over a network, and there is FAI (although I've never used
it and cannot comment on its comparative ease of use).  Truthfully I'd
absolutely consider yum an advantage -- so much so that the bulk of the
Fedora installs in the future will be done by yum.  Yum enables
something that is truly marvelous for people who have to install through
thin pipes (e.g. DSL links): a two stage interruptable install.  It is
possible to install a barebones system in the first pass in a relatively
short period of time and have it come up on the second boot and run yum
to complete the rest of the install.  Yum is robust, more or less,
against midstream interruption caused by flaky networks and the like,
where anaconda in traditional RH installs has to be restarted from
scratch if anything breaks in midstream, something that happens way too
often.

As far as management goes, they may provide different management tools
but that doesn't matter too much to me as I don't use management tools
much.  I'm an Old Guy and I just use jove to edit the config files in
/etc because I don't trust GUI tools to do so (correctly) for me.  I
will SOMETIMES invoke systems config tools for things like iptables and
firewalls, but only where my needs are trivial and it is just matter of
enabling a standard hole for e.g. ssh, http, or whatever.

Both of them have WAY more packages than I can ever use, and both of
them seem to have all or nearly all of the packages I do use.  It takes
me some 3-4 days of "shopping" post-upgrade to just look over what each
new release of Fedora has in it.  I then end up crapping up my system
with all kinds of new toys and later regretting it, then uncrapping it
(a good thing about yum is that good old "yum erase" part:-), to the
point where I haven't even LOOKED at all the stuff on Fedora 7.  My
favorite Debian correspondant tells me that nobody even tries to look
anymore on Debian, as I was running out of gas in that regard at 10
kilopackages and can't imagine wading through 20 kilopackages looking
for gold.  Truthfully, I end up USING more like 80 or 100 or something
like that, and might find another 100 passingly interesting or useful in
some narrow context.  Or games.  Hard to have too many games, as long as
they work...;-)

If I had my druthers, we (the Linux community) would work towards a
unified packaging scheme, a nice binary standard, a common /etc layout
(ideally one that converts a lot of /etc files from flat to xml, since
flatfiles suck for the specification for slowly varying extensible
hierarchical data one would like to manage with GUI tools).  Lower the
barriers between distros, not raise them.  Get it so that one can
kickstart Debian, use aptitude (with a configuration option set) with
Fedora.  Get it so that a binary package on one can convert and load on
the other (dependencies permitting) without library conflicts.  Get it
so a GUI tool written to manage one could equally well manage the other,
or ALL others.

But that just plain makes too much sense for users, and not enough sense
for corporate heads who ultimately rely on differences to sell their
products, not similarities.

Sigh,

    rgb