[Beowulf] Teaching Scientific Computation (looking for the perfect text)

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Wed Nov 21 08:19:19 PST 2007

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 at 10:36am, Robert G. Brown wrote

> I'm just describing what Duke had, which I'm pretty familiar with
> because we faced these actual costs a couple of years ago and had to go
> renegotiate our whole deal with them.  It is a bit better now -- I think
> Duke just dickered out an unlimited use license, period, so anybody on
> campus can install it on their machine(s), but for a while there that
> was true only for specific subpopulations (and I shudder to think what
> the current arrangement is likely costing the University).

Actually, the official line I got is "$150 for each new installation/user
of Matlab" for faculty/staff only, and that includes all toolboxes Duke
bought (I'm not sure how big a subset that is) except symbolic math.

And, joy of joys, the new license file no longer requires running FlexLM
on every damn machine you want to run Matlab on.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin