[Beowulf] Help: About EMBOSS

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Sun May 6 08:08:26 PDT 2007

On 5 May 2007, at 4:16 pm, Amy Lee wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm a Chinese student in an agricultural university. And I built a
> Linux Beowulf cluster for Bioinformatics Department. According to
> plan, we should use EMBOSS in this cluster.
>
> I'd like to know, whether I can use EMBOSS to do a big problem on
> these nodes? I mean the whole nodes can solve one problem together
> at the same time, not arrange different jobs to nodes.
>
> And how about Sun Grid Engine? Is it useful in this plan?

As far as I am aware, EMBOSS consists almost entirely of single
threaded programs, so its role in a cluster environment is going to
be for solving embarrassingly parallel problems where you can split
the workload into many small independent jobs.

Without knowing what the actual problem you are trying to solve is, I
can't really advise on whether any of the programs in EMBOSS are what
you want.

Tim