[Fwd: Re: [Beowulf] Cell in HPC]

Richard Walsh rbw at ahpcrc.org
Wed May 31 06:36:56 PDT 2006

Greg Lindahl wrote:
> On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 09:12:28AM -0500, Richard Walsh wrote:
>

>>    2.  Three tiered memory system with simple local memory (store,
>>    like old Cray-2) that is user/software managed is preferable to
>>    cache in the above context.  Double buffering and prefetching to
>>    local store reduce memory delays dramatically.
>>

> I wouldn't make this comparison. The Cray 2 local store was much
> easier to use than Cell's software-managed memory. And almost no one
> actually used the Cray 2 local store. Which ought to be a lesson
> learned.

    OK then perhaps, >>more like<< the Cray-2's local memory than like a
cache, and I used it (but I guess
    that definitely qualifies as "almost no one" ... ;-) ...).  Are you
wanting to imply that user controlled
    chip-local storage is not that great a design feature for HPC
generally or more narrowly that the
    CELL's implementation could be better?
> Another example of a modern machine with software-managed local store
> is QCDOC. Again, this is the easy-to-use kind, very unlike Cell.
>
> -- greg

Richard B. Walsh

Project Manager
Network Computing Services, Inc.
Army High Performance Computing Research Center (AHPCRC)
rbw at ahpcrc.org  |  612.337.3467

This message (including any attachments) may contain proprietary or
privileged information, the use and disclosure of which is legally
restricted.  If you have received this message in error please notify
the sender by reply message, do not otherwise distribute it, and delete
this message, with all of its contents, from your files.