[Beowulf] Gigabit switch recommendations

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Fri Mar 31 10:59:58 PST 2006

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 at 7:36pm, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote

> On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
>
>> smc and dell (and asante and a few others) all resell the same managed switches made by
>> accton...
>
> to be exact accton is a part of SMC
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMC_Networks

Well maybe that explains why none of the other folks who OEM Accton are
selling the ES4550 (aka SMC8748L2), as Accton released it just last fall.
It's touted in all the press releases as the "industry's 1st Single-Chip
48-Port Gigabit+ Switch" based on Agere's ET4K.

Hrm.  I don't usually like being on the bleeding edge like this.  It'll be
interesting to see how it performs.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering