[Beowulf] A bit OT - scientific workstations - recommendations

Justin Moore justin at cs.duke.edu
Fri Mar 10 12:56:17 PST 2006

> I have heard stories about some of the first vacuum tube computers where a
> a full time technician walked around inside the computer
> and replaced blown out tubes - between every program run. I tend to
> think this has a certain myth aspect to this story, but like all myths it
> probably has some truth to it.

   Also somewhat OT, I highly recommend the audio and slides for George
Dyson's talk exploring the history of what would become the computer
science department at Princeton, mainly focused on Von Neumann:

http://www.itconversations.com/shows/detail454.html

the slides are large (114 MB) and he flips through them pretty quickly,
but gives some very interesting insights into one of the birthplaces of
modern computing.

-jdm

--
Duke University Department of Computer Science, Durham, NC 27708-0129
Email:  justin at cs.duke.edu
Web:    http://www.cs.duke.edu/~justin/