[Beowulf] A bit OT - scientific workstations - recommendations

Douglas Eadline deadline at clustermonkey.net
Fri Mar 10 11:47:25 PST 2006

 --snipage--

> Unless, of course, you
> have so large a cluster (and budget) that assigning a whole FTE admin
> who does NOTHING but hardware maintenance from a local warehouse of
> spare parts is cost effective...

I have heard stories about some of the first vacuum tube computers where a
a full time technician walked around inside the computer
and replaced blown out tubes - between every program run. I tend to
think this has a certain myth aspect to this story, but like all myths it
probably has some truth to it.

Good points BTW, I will concede that one important reason for
on site service is that you don't have to convince a vendor that
the hardware is broken and spend time packaging and shipping.

Too bad there is not a one of the Staples Easy buttons on each node.
When you press it a guy comes through the door with new one.

--
Doug

--
Doug