[Beowulf] Outdoor location?

Vic Cornell vcc at noc.soton.ac.uk
Wed Aug 23 08:16:32 PDT 2006

What about humidity?

I know most kit is more tolerant than these days but it must rain
there sometime :-)

If that is ok then maybe a side wall of downward angled but wide-
mouthed louvres.

How well sealed is your desk? Drips could be costly.

Also there is climate change . . . .

Vic

On 22 Aug 2006, at 23:52, Eric McCaughrin wrote:

> In Northern Calif., we are blessed with natural,
> year-round air conditioning. Ambient temps very rarely
> go over 85F, or lower than 40F. With HVAC being a
> major (biggest?) cost, I am wondering if anyone
> considered an outdoor location?
>
> In my backyard, I have an unused 70A 240v line, and a
> large 30" high deck. Maybe this is a totally stupid
> idea, but what would be the feasibility of mounting
> nodes underneath the 2x6 planks of the deck? There
> must be some way to keep the nodes dry without
> compromising air circulation? And running the nodes
> continuously should build up enough heat to prevent
> dew from forming.

Vic Cornell.
Email: vcc at noc.soton.ac.uk
Research Development Manager.
Information Technology Group.   National Oceanography Centre,
Room 024/11, Empress Dock,  European Way, SOUTHAMPTON,
SO14 3ZH, UK.    http://www.noc.soton.ac.uk/
Skype:viccornell Jabber:viccornell at gmail.com  AIM/iChat:uruz at mac.com
Weds/Thurs :    Tel:         02380 596 193        Fax:          02380
596 195
Mon/Tue/Fri:    Tel/Fax:  01803 813 792        Mobile:     07789 967 986