[Beowulf] Need Help...!

Michael T. Halligan michael at halligan.org
Sat Oct 23 10:45:08 PDT 2004

Kamran,

My first approach would be to call up the application manufacturer
directly and ask them how
their licensing works. Explain your situation, and get their
recommendation.  After you find
out the deal on that piece of software, start talking about bulk
pricing. A lot of companies,
especially ones with specialized software, are willing to give good bulk
discounts to universities.

If that fails, find a VAR (Value Added Reseller). Typically a good VAR
can get you discounts
on anything they sell of 25-45% off of the manufacturer's price.  You'll
get even better discounts
if you can purchase say the 50 pieces of software, as well as some
servers, or some other software,
or some support licenses through the var.  I always try to make my
purchases large, and combined. If
I know I'm going to need to spend $250k in a quarter on software &
hardware, but I won't need a portion
of it until the end of the quarter, I'll let my vendor know what I plan
on ordering, and how much I want
to order initially, and they will almost always offer me extra discounts
to do the entire purchase at once.