[Beowulf] $2500 cluster. What it's good for?

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Sun Dec 19 17:18:00 PST 2004

On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 01:49:28PM -0600, Dean Johnson wrote:

> On Dec 18, 2004, at 9:52 AM, Jim Lux wrote:
>
> >I think it would be interesting to contemplate potential uses of a
> >$2500
> >cluster.  Once you've had the thrill of putting it together and
> >rendering
> >something with POVray, what next?
>
> While not terribly elegant, scientifically interesting, or
> cluster-sexy, you could do distcc. "Look ma, I'm compiling over my
> cluster". High school kids might like to do cluster BLAST type stuff.
> There is certain value in getting the dog-looking-at-the-tv look from
> their parents when they explain their activities. "Well Son, I got no
> damn idea what you are talking about, but your Mom and I are very
> proud".
>
> Maybe someone should put together something akin to the OpenCD for
> cluster usage by novices. Put together a bunch of the standard
> cluster-aware apps in nice buildable or RPM type packages.

Quantian anybody ??

> 	--Dean

Shades of talking through all of this in 1997 or 1998 when talking about
a distribution-agnostic version of Extreme Linux. Google will find
references to this even if the archives - the third hit [a post on the
debian-devel list pointing to Drake Diedrich's usual intelligent-type
response to a clueless newbie :) ] should help.

Andy