[Beowulf] $2500 cluster. What it's good for?

Dean Johnson dtj at uberh4x0r.org
Sun Dec 19 11:49:28 PST 2004

On Dec 18, 2004, at 9:52 AM, Jim Lux wrote:

> I think it would be interesting to contemplate potential uses of a
> $2500
> cluster.  Once you've had the thrill of putting it together and
> rendering
> something with POVray, what next?

While not terribly elegant, scientifically interesting, or
cluster-sexy, you could do distcc. "Look ma, I'm compiling over my
cluster". High school kids might like to do cluster BLAST type stuff.
There is certain value in getting the dog-looking-at-the-tv look from
their parents when they explain their activities. "Well Son, I got no
damn idea what you are talking about, but your Mom and I are very
proud".

Maybe someone should put together something akin to the OpenCD for
cluster usage by novices. Put together a bunch of the standard
cluster-aware apps in nice buildable or RPM type packages.

	--Dean