[Beowulf] AMD64 results...

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Thu Dec 16 06:43:32 PST 2004

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 at 8:08am, Robert G. Brown wrote
>
> > On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Bill Broadley wrote:
> >
> > > Group reply:

> > > That is a s754 amd64?
> >
> > Yes (as per earlier discussion, an Asus K8NE, but I should have restated
> > it -- the P2 is an MSI mobo but I'm downstairs and don't remember which
> > one).     ^^
>
> You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it
> means.
> \end[castilian]{accent}
>
> Didn't your initial post state that the Intel CPU tested was a
> "GenuineIntel  Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.80GHz at  1804.509 (MHz)"?  Or
> am I missing something (I haven't had my coffee yet, you see)?

Well, y'see, all current Intel processors are successors to the P5,
making the whole processor set: Pentium Pro, Celeron, PII, PIII and P4
into P6's.  As is well-known by all Sicilians, P6 minus P4 clearly
equals P2, so I cannot run the processor close to me.  But Celerons are
sometimes referred to as "Celeries", and Celery is well known to be a
laxative and tasteless, so I cannot run the processor close to you.

Wait, wait, I'm just getting going!  If you cripple a PIII by removing
its cache, you get a Celeron, making a P6 that (knowing that all men are
mortal) you would want to keep as far from you as possible, so I clearly
cannot run the processor near to me...so you run the processor in front
of you and I'll run the one in front of me <head explodes>

In the meantime, I've got to P...2.

   rg-head-already-aching-b

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu