NFS over GB ethernet

Art Edwards edwardsa at plk.af.mil
Wed Nov 6 09:40:41 PST 2002

Thanks for the responses. I will try to answer some of the questions.

First, by ethernet card does come up at boot-time. In the Debian I
believe that auto eth0 sends the card up at boot. At any rate, in
/var/log/messages I see the card come up.

I have looked at the ordering of the init.d scripts. S35networking and
S40unmountnfs are in rc0.d. S20nfs-kernel-server appears in rc2.d -
rc5.d in rcS.d there is S40networking and S45mountnfs.sh

My prejudice at this point is that the init scripts on each node are
ordered correctly and that the card does come up during boot. I'm using
a sysco catalyst 4000 switch and I believe it is the switch that has
latency in bringing up a link. At boot time I typically get a message
that the link is down, and then sometime later, the link is up.

--
Art Edwards
Senior Research Physicist

(505) 853-6042 (v)