MS attacking government use of open source

Gerry Creager N5JXS n5jxs at tamu.edu
Mon May 27 19:53:23 PDT 2002

In a recent discussion with a professional lobbyist, I asked the
question of how to get the highest probability of a response from your
congressman/senator.  I was told that a conventional letter is 2-3 times
more effective than e-mail, and almost as likely to get a response as a
personal visit to the office.  Phone calls, telegrams are essentially
lost causes, unless you're on the short list to always get the
politician.  E-mail and form letters are somewhat successful; at least
they are usually seen by a human and logged.  Personal letters,
handwritten being best, or typed, virtually always get a human answer.

That said, in my last official gripe with a Senator, my e-mail to James
Sensenbrenner was answered twice: once obviously by a staffer, and the
second, a letter that had the appearances of Sensenbrenner's personal
touch (a rather sincere apology and explanation of statement in
question) by posatl mail; the first in 12 hours, the second in 3 days...

gerry
Texas A&M University