Because XFS is BETTER (Re: opinion on XFS)

Eray Ozkural erayo at cs.bilkent.edu.tr
Thu May 9 09:39:26 PDT 2002

On Thursday 09 May 2002 17:48, Chris Black wrote:
> > The only filesystem on linux that would come close to XFS is JFS and that
> > is said to be still not-so-stable. Forget reiserfs, the docs scream
> > no-no.
>
> Could you elaborate on this? We've been using reiserfs pretty heavily
> without problems. The main reason to use a non-ext2 fs on a cluster
> system as I see it is handling directories with many files. Reiserfs
> does a much better job of this than ext2 in our experience.

I don't know how reiserfs works in practice, but from the docs it doesn't
sound like they have decided on a particular algorithm / structure for the
filesystem. The most technical detail I had found was that it used "balanced
trees". As you know, that's not a file/data structure.

I won't use any index structure that doesn't have well established bounds on
its time/space complexity.

Thanks,

--
Eray Ozkural (exa) <erayo at cs.bilkent.edu.tr>