Company computer utilization?

Mark Hartner hartner at cs.utah.edu
Tue Jul 16 12:07:11 PDT 2002

> this, except I need or at least prefer them to be linux.  Therefore, we need
> a way to auto reboot the boxes at some time in the evening to linux and then
> back to windows in the morning.  One of our IT folks is already working on

You may want to take a look at GRUB. Newer versions of GRUB can do a
network boot (for some subset of network cards), so you could just put
your linux kernel and initrd our on a tftp server and boot into linux
without having to install anything local to the PC's. I have done this
before using a floppy.

> anyone has any ideas/suggestions, etc. I'd appreciate it.  It has to be
> automatic because most of the users would probably not do anything as simple
> as reboot their computer when they go home.

Then they probably would not do something as simple as "save their
work" before they go home either.

Mark