Company computer utilization?

Thomas Lovie tlovie at pokey.mine.nu
Tue Jul 16 10:26:35 PDT 2002

It's pretty easy to do.  On the linux side, you'd have to make the
machines dual boot, and I prefer to do this using lilo as the boot
loader.  So if you had this in place, you might have a lilo.conf that
looks something like this:

prompt
timeout=50
default=linux
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
linear
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-5
        label=linux
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.18-5.img
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda1
other = /dev/hda3
        label = win
        table = /dev/hda

By using the -R option to lilo, like 'lilo -R win' you will cause the
system to boot to windows the next time you reboot.  If you put this and
a 'shutdown -r' into a cron job at 06:00 am for example, the computer
will be up and running for the start of working hours.

The windows version of this is pretty simple as well... You can use the
AT job scheduler to execute a 'shutdown.exe -r' command to cause a
reboot.  The shutdown.exe utility is available for Windows NT, 2000 and
XP, and there is a corresponding method to do this with 95/98/ME, you
just have to search the knowledge base.

The disadvantage to this whole setup is that the computer boots into
linux by default, except when instructed by lilo to reboot into windows
on the next reboot.  If the user manually reboots the computer during
the day, it would come up into linux.  This could perhaps be overcome
with an init script in the default runlevel that checks what time it is,
and reboots into windows if it is inside of normal working hours.

I've never actually implemented anything like this, just researched it
once...

Best Regards,
Tom Lovie.