PCI-64: how to find

Patrick Geoffray patrick at myri.com
Mon Feb 25 08:29:48 PST 2002

Hi David,

David Geldreich wrote:
>      I am currently having problem with fullduplex; the driver and my
> switch are telling fullduplex, but doing ttcp in both direction
> simultaneously gives only 520Mbit/s in both direction (a total of
> 1040Mbit were I expect 1800Mbit).

What is the load of your CPU(s) ? That may be the bottleneck in
bidirectional.

>      Is there (objective) comparison chart (bandwidth + latency) of
> Gigabit ethernet vs Myrinet vs Dolphin ?

It's impossible to get an objective comparaison, there is too many
variables (CPU, PCI, memory bus, sw interface, pattern, number of nodes,
topology, etc).

Moreover, if you use IP, the performance on all interconnects will be
limited by the CPU clock, if the link is fast enough.
You should look at the excellent Trapeze project at Duke
http://www.cs.duke.edu/ari/trapeze/, and specially at Drew's slides:
http://www.cs.duke.edu/ari/trapeze/slides/freenix/index.htm to get the
big picture.

Patrick