Tiger MP S2460 was [ot] Re: AMD testing

Donald B. Kinghorn kinghorn at pqs-chem.com
Mon Nov 19 10:03:35 PST 2001

We'll it won't blow up with a kaboom ... According to the Mushkin web site
you can use 2 non-registered modules on the tiger 2460 ...

Now, I'll give my opinion. This board is poorly enginered and has been a
pain make suitable for scientific computing. I've had numerous memory
problems with these boards and most of the problems don't show up as obvious
crashes. They are the worst kind of errors -- corrupted results for large
jobs --- the kind of thing you might not catch without carefull testing. I
have found that I can not reliably use more than 3 memory modules (of any
type) on these boards. If you need a 1GB configuration DON'T USE 4 256MB
MODULES. Try 2 512MB or 2 256 and 1 512 module.

I have a cluster running reliably with no detectable errors under any load
(FINALLY) using the tiger 2460 with the 1.03 bios using 2 256 Crucial reg
ecc modules and 1 Infenion (64x4) reg ecc 512MB module on each board. You
need to ENABLE quick boot in the bios, use ECC SCRUB (maybe not essential),
use a recent (>2.4.11) kernel with a stable vm, use an append  noapic in
lilo and do NOT use any mem= appends in lilo. All of these steps may not be
simultaneously needed but I am sick of fighting with this motherboard and
this configuration seems to work reliably. (your milage may vary)

I'm looking forward to seeing some better dual athlon boards come to the
market. Does any one have any info on when this may happen?

Best regards
-Don