Booting from ATA100 Raid

alvin at Mail.Linux-Consulting.com alvin at Mail.Linux-Consulting.com
Wed May 9 14:35:36 PDT 2001

hi all

my opinions...

i think raid is good to protect against disk failures
or bad partitions ...

large data storage should be on raid5...

system disk should NOT be on the same disk as the "large irreplaceable
data disks"...

system disk is already backed up on the cdrom from which you
installed ... or can copy from other similar servers

most motherboards come with two ide controllers so you
can have dual system disks ( mirrored ) to boot off either disk

if booting or system disk crash is an issue....
	use root raid on two mirror'd drives

	-
	- i just built a raid1 ( mirror ) root-raid box...
	- works out of the box ( rh-7.1 )
	-
	- unplugged /dev/hda   and booted fine off of /dev/hdb
	- ( redhat-7.1 restriction for where to put the mirror )
	-
	- but it does boot in degraded mode so you should recover
	- what you need and shutdown immediately and rebuild or
	- resync your new system disk back into the raid mirror
	-
	- i would NOT put the "system disk" on the same
	disks as its data... if one disk goes bad...you lose both
	system and data...
		- you wanna be able to recover your data..
		- replace the system disk and you're back and running

- getting IDE drives on the same bacle to perform like it was scsi-3
  disks is alot harder to do... guess thats why scsi drives are
  more expensive ??

have fun raiding
alvin
http://www.Linux-1U.net - 500Gb 1U Raid5 ...