how to let salve machine share the front-end machine's load

Schilling, Richard RSchilling at affiliatedhealth.org
Wed Mar 21 10:44:49 PST 2001

I do something similar.  I mount via NFS a directory on the slave machine.
That directory containes executables common to nodes of a particular
hardware type.  I also have my CVS repository on a slave machine.  I mount
those directories under /usr somewhere:

	/usr/cvsroot - NFS mount to the node with the CVS repository
	/usr_shared  - NFS mount to the node with executables and other
"usr" type files I can share among nodes.

	notice that the head node still has it's own /usr partition.
Mounting /usr with NFS can be done, but you can't mount /usr locally and via
NFS at the same time, of course.

Mounting the CVS repository with NFS works really well.  You might also try
downloading the clusterit toolkit - it allows you to spawn simple jobs
across network nodes.  Really handy when you have to grep files on several
nodes or check disk space or something like that.

Richard Schilling
Web Integration Programmer/Webmaster
phone: 360.856.7129
fax: 360.856.7166