Scyld and resolv library

Dave Johnson ddj at cascv.brown.edu
Thu Mar 8 06:28:30 PST 2001

One more thing that may bite bproc users/admins is the need for
/etc/protocols if an application uses getproto{ent,byname,bynumber},
and possibly /etc/services to support getserv{ent,byname,bynumber}.
I ran into this when running some of the netpipe benchmarks, which
uses getprotobyname.

Since the default behavior of nsswitch is to look in nis, then check
the appropriate file in /etc if nis fails to respond, you don't have
to change /etc/nsswitch.conf to get it to look at the /etc/protocols,
services, networks, ethers, etc.

	-- ddj

	Dave Johnson
	Brown University TCASCV