Sun Sparc performance

Laurence Liew laurence at elinux.com.sg
Sat Aug 4 08:41:26 PDT 2001

Dear Chean Leng,

It really depends on your application, whether it makes use of the features of
the SPARC CPU...

I have had clusters of Alpha, AMD and INTEL and running different applications
ranks them differently...

I would think that a SUN box brings to your cluster a higher reliability
(hardware) then pc-based systems... this may be important for jobs that run for
long periods.. more than a week????

However.. with SUN... it is not a Beowulf cluster anymore :-) SUN boxes are
generally not considered COTS...

Cheers!
Laurence