Sun Sparc performance

Marc Cozzi cozzi at hertz.rad.nd.edu
Sat Aug 4 05:33:37 PDT 2001

Sure, you can cluster SUN systems as easily as IA32 based systems.
However because of the cost of SPARC based systems I don't think
they qualify as "commodity" based systems so it may not be fair
to call it Beowulf clustering. Additionally, with SUN systems anyway,
I use Myrinet high speed low latency components. The cost of these
devices are not exactly commodity either.

As for the performance, I swear I'm going to get a T-shirt that says
"It depends on the application". Compilers, 64bit vs 32bit, cache, etc.

  marc