running MPI, and login in locally into slave nodes

german kogan gkogan at students.uiuc.edu
Fri Aug 3 11:53:27 PDT 2001

Hi.

I am really new at this. I just loaded Scyld  on my front end Machine and
got one slave node up using NodeBoot.img over network from the master
node. Eventually I will build a cluster. So I have a few question.

1) Was the Software that was on the master node installed onto the
slave node?

2) Is it possible to login locally into a slave node? Because there is no
prompt for loging in on the slave node and for some reason I could not tell
into it from the master node.

3) I was trying to run a simple MPI program. And when I tried to run it
using the command /usr/mpi-beowulf/bin/mpirun -np 2 a.out I got the
following error message "p0_2813: p4_error: net_create_slave: host not
bproc node: -3 p4_error: latest msg from perror: Success. However, it did
work when I used 1 process instead of 2. Any ideas what
does this mean and what am I doing wrong.

If somebody could help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
German