UP2000 vs DS10 for beowulf?

Greg Lindahl glindahl at hpti.com
Tue Oct 31 08:24:34 PST 2000

> 	Another thing to keep in mind is the heat.
> 	I don't know what is the situation today, but I have
> 	heard that Compaq used to have somekind of heat problems with
> 	fully loaded DS10L racks.

It's *extremely* important to not repeat incorrect rumors. There are ~ 1,200
DS10Ls in racks of 32 at CPlant, and there are no heat problems. They did
have to add some external fans so that machines that were powered off stay
cool enough to power on, but that's not a significant problem.

> 	in addition, I do not know if Compaq even has
> 	DS10L version of their fastest DS10 models.

Yes, they do. The intent is for the DS10L to faithfully track the DS10 --
they share the same motherboard.

-- greg