[eepro100] eepro100

Donald Becker becker at scyld.com
Fri Mar 3 17:06:42 PST 2006

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 tony.chamberlain at lemko.com wrote:

> We have a Dell Power Edge running Red Hat 9.0 (2.4.20-8 kernel) with an Intel Pro/100 VE ethernet adapter.
> According to everything I have read, the driver should be e100. Well I tried both e100 and eepro100 drivers
> (/sbin/insmod <module>) but neither one worked. They both gave that error:
>
>  init_module: No such device

What is the PCI ID of the adapter?  Run 'lspci -n' to find it.

The "VE" should have a PCI ID of Vendor:0x8086 Device:0x1031  (which might
appear as "10318086").  If so, the driver should support it.

>  Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
> including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.

Grrr, old advice from the days of ISA.  And even then it was frequently
wrong for correctly written drivers.

Donald Becker				becker at scyld.com
Scyld Software	 			Scyld Beowulf cluster systems
914 Bay Ridge Road, Suite 220		www.scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993