[Beowulf] Firecracker for HPC workloads

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 8 19:42:56 PST 2019

Does anyone know of work being done with Firecracker for HPC?
https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/firecracker-lightweight-virtualization-for-serverless-computing/

Being able to spin up 1000s or instances in a few milliseconds to run a
parallel computation does sound interesting.

I am not that familiar with Firecracker, so I dont know how it would be
useful. Also there must be some limitations, so perhaps it is not optimal
for HPC - ie how much access do you get to the native networking hardware.

Also I suppose that the ratio of the spinup time to the length of the
complete job is important - no sense in spinning something up very fast for
a job which takes hours.
Any other thoughts re Frecracker?

J R Hearns (currently working as an HPC roughneck)