[Beowulf] Fortran is Awesome

Paul Edmon pedmon at cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Nov 29 07:15:51 PST 2018

Not necessarily.  I learned Fortran as part of my Numerical Methods for
Physicists in grad school.  We had the option of using C or Fortran.
Fortran has proved much more useful to learn than C and I've picked up C
on the side.  In many cases programming is a matter of logical
structured thinking, if you can get that the rest is learning syntax for
different languages.

For people doing numerical methods, Fortran is way superior in terms of
usability than C.  That said I would never teach Fortran in a Computer
Science class, but in a Numerical Methods for Scientists I would go with
Fortran.

-Paul Edmon-