[Beowulf] Power calculations , double precision, ECC and power of APU's

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Tue Mar 19 15:12:59 PDT 2013

On 03/19/2013 06:06 PM, Michael Di Domenico wrote:
> out of your many foot in mouth statements over the years this must be
> the worst.  i can absolutely assure you there is an aspect of the HPC
> community that does not care about DP, and cares more about SP
> performance, and even more so about integer performance.

+10 (on the caring about things other than DP, and even SP).

There's a fairly large cross section of people whose simulation, codes,
etc. have to deal with other-than-*P performance issues. Instruction
graduation rate, IO and network bandwidth ... all of these things matter
for a large and growing segment of the HPC community.  I've argued many
times that basing the "fastest supercomputer" metric off a parallel LU
decomposition manages to miss an ever larger segment of the HPC
community, for whom that metric is not useful.

Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
Scalable Informatics, Inc.
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com