[Beowulf] Power calculations , double precision, ECC and power of APU's

Michael Di Domenico mdidomenico4 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 15:06:10 PDT 2013

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 7:42 AM, Vincent Diepeveen <diep at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On Mar 12, 2013, at 5:45 AM, Mark Hahn wrote:
>> trinity a10-5700 has 384 radeon 69xx cores running at 760 MHz,
>> delivering 584 SP gflops - 65W iirc.  but only 30 GB/s for it and
>> the CPU.
>>
>> let's compare that to a 6930 card: 1280 cores, 154 GB/s, 1920 Gflops.
>> about 1/3 the cores, flops, and something less than 1/5 the bandwidth.
>> no doubt the lower bandwidth will hurt some codes, and the lower
>> host-gpu
>> latency will help others.  I don't know whether APUs have the same
>> SP/DP ratio as comparable add-in cards.
>>

> Since when in HPC do we want SP gflops?

out of your many foot in mouth statements over the years this must be
the worst.  i can absolutely assure you there is an aspect of the HPC
community that does not care about DP, and cares more about SP
performance, and even more so about integer performance.

i drive multimillion dollar procurements of HPC technology every year,
I can assure you DP performance is not high on the benchmark criteria.