[Beowulf] Anybody using Redhat HPC Solution in their Beowulf

Hearns, John john.hearns at mclaren.com
Fri Oct 22 01:30:29 PDT 2010

> Hello List,
> My University is going for a new HPC System. I was using Rocks +
CentOS
> until now but someone suggested to use Redhat HPC Solution with the
new
> system.

Please, please don't "roll your own" system (pun intended).
There are lots of companies out there who will provide you with a high
quality, supported
Beowulf cluster. Heck - some of them are respected controbutors to this
list!

Seriously - you do not want to be making a decision up front on the
cluster management stack
before bringing vendors in.
You can bring vendors in, let them present what their cluster offering
does, and indeed you might learn
a lot from them at that stage.
The cluster management utilities might then influence who goes forward
to the next stage of tendering.

And what do I mean by support - well first off hardware - when a node
fails it will be fixed or replaced.
Second off software - your vendor will help in setting up queueing
systems and getting codes running.
Third off - storage and drivers. If you get any problems with storage,
or with kernel-type problems the
vendor will sort them out for you.

The contents of this email are confidential and for the exclusive use of the intended recipient.  If you receive this email in error you should not copy it, retransmit it, use it or disclose its contents but should return it to the sender immediately and delete your copy.