[Beowulf] cluster scheduler for dynamic tree-structured jobs?

Rayson Ho raysonlogin at gmail.com
Sat May 15 09:34:31 PDT 2010

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 10:44 AM, Andrew Piskorski <atp at piskorski.com> wrote:
> Yes, that's what I did with SGE, that part works fine.  SGE's other
> behaviors often leave much to be desired.

Just because the default settings of SGE do not follow your workflow
does not mean that "SGE's other behaviors often leave much to be
desired."

There are SGE users who do exactly not want SGE to automatically
re-run jobs due to unreachable nodes -- for example, a network failure
can partition a single SGE cluster into 2 sub-clusters, and thus every
job can be run twice if the default is to re-run whenever nodes are
not reachable.

The SGE mailing "users" list is always responsive (Thanks to Reuti and
others who contribute), so anything you don't like or understand in
SGE, you should:

1) Google (very important)
2) Check the SGE manpage, HOWTO, admin guide
3) Ask on the list

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/maillist.html

>> > 4. I really, really want a good API for programmably interacting with
>> > the cluster scheduler and ALL of its features.  I don't care too much
>
>> I haven't looked at it much, but I think DRMAA will work for that in SGE.

DRMAA is for job submission and some job monitoring, and if you want
to interact with your scheduler, like changing the scheduling
algorithms, then I don't think it can be easily done with anything
available in the free/opensource world or commercial market.

Rayson