[Beowulf] Beowulf SysAdmin Job Description

Douglas Guptill douglas.guptill at dal.ca
Thu May 7 17:53:20 PDT 2009

Hello Nicholas:

On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 10:55:54PM +0300, Nicholas M Glykos wrote:

> <snip>
> > Too many Ph.D persons (in fields other than Computer Science) assume
> > that any sort of computer work is something they could do in their
> > spare time, if they just took the time.
> </snip>
>
> Taking your point to its diametrically opposite extreme, I have repeatedly
> been told that I should stop writing code because there is no way that the
> code I manage to write could possibly compete with what a professional
> programmer could have written. They are, of course, absolutely right.
> Still, I would not trade the fun (and concurrent training) of solving my
> problems in my way with even the most highly optimised, readable and
> absolutely professional pieces of code.

You raise an excellent point.

There should always be a place, in any field of human endeavour, for
amateurs.  We were all amateurs once.

> My twopence,
> Nicholas

Worth at least twice that.  :-)

Regards,
Douglas.
--
  Douglas Guptill                       voice: 902-461-9740
  Research Assistant, LSC 4640          email: douglas.guptill at dal.ca
  Oceanography Department               fax:   902-494-3877
  Dalhousie University
  Halifax, NS, B3H 4J1, Canada