[Beowulf] Beowulf SysAdmin Job Description

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Fri May 8 16:40:00 PDT 2009

Nicholas,

Who tells you to stop writing code?
The whole point of FORTRAN was to make it possible to for engineers (who
understand their problem domains) to write their own code. And the situation
has just gotten better, not worse. Bookkeepers can set up their own
databases. Not big efficient ones maybe.

Programming is long since democratized. The languages just get higher level,
and more is automated, so eventually grandma will just ask for results and
not specfify any logic at all.

Sure you want trained software engineers for real time, mission critical,
etc etc,  and we produce the most good code per hour, but programming is
plenty accessible for domain experts to express themselves effectively.

My ha'penny,

Peter