[Beowulf] Performance tuning for Jumbo Frames

Patrick Geoffray patrick at myri.com
Tue Dec 15 20:26:23 PST 2009

Rahul Nabar wrote:
> The TSO and LRO are only relevant to TCP though, aren't they? I am
> using RDMA  so that shouldn't matter. Maybe I am wrong.

TSO/LRO applies to TCP, but you can have the same technique with
different protocol, USO for UDP Send Offload for example.

RDMA is everything you want it to be, but it is not a wire protocol.
Anyway, NICs that implement zero-copy communication are in a way
offloading segmentation and reassembly too.

BTW, if your RDMA-capable hardware is running iWarp, it is using TCP on
the wire.

Patrick