[Beowulf] fftw2, mpi, from 32 bit to 64 and fortran

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Mon Aug 4 21:37:38 PDT 2008

Salve Ricardo Reis and list

Ricardo Reis wrote:

>  Hi all
>  After backtracing and lots of going around I found out the problem.
> The routine to calculate the fft had a parameter for using or not
> using a buffer array which I wasn't passing through.
>  Thanks all for your help and sorry to disturbe.
>  there should be a way to force the fortan compiler to check every
> variable is passed in the interface... damn it.
Fortran 90 (and later) has this capability with module interfaces, which
resemble to C function prototypes.
However, I don't think FFTW uses it, although I haven't used FFTW in a
while to be sure about it.
Smuggling various parameter types across the same subroutine interface
seem to have been a desired feature of
older Fortran.

Are there any Fortran compilers that can actually check the subroutine
parameter number, type,
array dimensions, etc, through mere compilation flags?
I don't remember any, the language features are probably not enough to
ensure such checks
(except for Fortran 90 as noted above).

Glad to know your code now works!

Gus Correa

Gustavo J. Ponce Correa, PhD - Email: gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
P.O. Box 1000 [61 Route 9W] - Palisades, NY, 10964-8000 - USA