[Beowulf] threading building blocks

Jim Phillips jim at ks.uiuc.edu
Fri Jul 27 15:05:39 PDT 2007

I just saw a talk that somewhat covered TBB.  See slides at
http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/UserInfo/Training/Workshops/Multicore/presentations/Intel_Threading_Tools.ppt

It's closer to OpenMP than pthreads.  One idiom I recall is to change your
loop body to an operator, possibly adding locks or atomics, and then feed
the operator to a parallel_for template.  The runtime has a neat method of
splitting the loops to improve cache performance.

They went open source because programmers were unwilling to adopt a
programming system that wasn't portable to non-Intel/AMD platforms.  The
main porting work is writing the assembler to do atomic operations.

-Jim