[Beowulf] threading building blocks

Bill Broadley bill at cse.ucdavis.edu
Thu Jul 26 00:17:21 PDT 2007

I saw a bunch of press on intel's new Threading Building Blocks 2.0.  Seems
similar to a couple other products promising easier parallelism, even down
to a contest for the best use.

Except:
* GPL v2 - an actual open license, not a fake open license.
* Not OS specific: Windows, mac, and linux (I even heard opensolaris and at
   least one of the *BSDs mentioned)
* Not compiler specific: gcc, intel, and microsoft
* AMD, Intel, and even found mentions of it working on a G5

Sounds like a potentially useful technology, especially with the ever
increasing number of threads becoming available inside a node and the
ever increasing difference between onchip communication and outside
node communication.

I've downloaded some examples but they have all been windows specific so far
(sigh).

Anyone look at it closer?  Is it much different than say pthreads?