[Beowulf] Sidebar: Vista Rant

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 11:10:19 PDT 2007

Ah, I think I can guess where "3700 hours per year consuming entertainment"
comes from.
At the nominal 8 hours per day of sleep, there are 5,840 waking hours in a
year. At the nominal 40 hour week for 50 weeks (2 weeks vacation, or one
week and 5 holidays; just a thumbnail estimate) you get 2000 working hours.
That leaves 3,840 hours that are neither asleep nor working, and can be
categorized as "entertainment".
Sounds like arithmetic from a marketing person, saying that so many hours
can be presumed available for entertainment.
Peter