[Beowulf] Sidebar: Vista Rant

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Wed Jul 18 10:38:23 PDT 2007

Jim Lux wrote:

> The average person spends roughly 3700 hours per year consuming
> enetertainment, of which more than 3500 are some form of audio or video
> (i.e. not reading)

I would love to hear where that data came from.  Considering a work year
is about 2080 hours, this means we spend more time  per week being
entertained, than working.

Moreover, there are 8760 hours (give or take) in a year.  3700 hours
represents 42% of that.

Needless to say, I am ... ah ... skeptical ... about those numbers (the
3700).

> Going to the theater and seeing a movie is a very tiny fraction of this
> (on average), but still accounts for about $10B per year in the US, and
> perhaps $25B world wide (2004 numbers) and this does not include "adult"
> entertainment.

Maybe listening to the radio while driving your car counts.  Maybe all
the annoying little ad-blurbs on pages count.  I dunno.

3700 hours?  Unlikely at best.

--

Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO