[Beowulf] power usage, Intel 5160 vs. AMD 2216

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Thu Jul 12 10:35:31 PDT 2007

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007, Jon Bernard wrote:

> Two vendors recently bid on a cluster we're buying, and we've got
> questions about their power estimates that I though I'd also put to the
> list while we wait for the vendors to respond.
>
> Vendor A estimates that at peak load a compute node with two AMD 2216s,
> 4 GB of 667 DDR2 RAM, a hard drive, and an IB board will draw 265 watts.
> Vendor B estimates that such a node will draw 450 watts.
>
> Vendor B also estimates that a similar machine with two Intel 5160s will
> draw 550 watts at peak load.
>
> Anybody have any actual measurements?

Not for this specific configuration -- I'd be inclined towards ~300W (we
could have a lottery!) although it will vary depending on whether the
system is loaded/active or idle by as much as 30% of the loaded value,
so they couldn't QUITE both be right but it's close.

Google for a "kill-a-watt".  Brand new, shipped, it's about $25 (from
e.g. Amazon).  A must have for any serious cluster enthusiast or
manager -- use it to plug the systems in and then look.  It's one of the
only ways to be sure.

    rgb