[Beowulf] Tools for graphing (creating graphics of) execution sequences

Eric Thibodeau kyron at neuralbs.com
Sat Mar 4 20:59:10 PST 2006

On Sat, 4 Mar 2006, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Mar 2006, Eric Thibodeau wrote:
>
> > The environment context:
> > 	 I work only under linux, so no windows alternative ( like I'd get any :P ).

Ironically, Dia, which you propose, also runs under Windows ;)

> I fully appreciate this;-)
>
> > Some of the tools that come in mind:
> > xfig
> > inkscape
> > oodraw (OpenOffice)
> > odipodi
>
> You might look into dia.  dia is an "object oriented" xfig-like tool
> that provides you with a palette of prebuilt active "objects" for doing
> the kind of graphical design you are referring to.  For example, there
> are palettes for electrical and chemical engineering, for logic, for
> networking (it's a Cool Tool for putting together a pretty picture with
> a graphical representation of a beowulf cluster, although it's rackmount
> workstations have a strange identifiable similarity to sun pizza boxes
> with a little diamond logo and everything:-), and so on.  In particular,
> though, there is a flow-chart palette, with the usual conditional
> diamonds, parallelogram boxes, rectangular boxes, etc.  I've used it a
> few times for REALLY complex tasks, although I solve most mundane
> problems in flow in my head with no flow chart (in clear violation of
> what I was taught in CPS 1 back in 1974, sigh).

Actually, I know Dia quite a bit but a "brain fart" made me forget to
list it. Amongst interesting features, it includes tha bility to convert
UML directly to code (yes I've used it...just a little, promise!).

Another tool I might have forgotten to mention is kivio (the KDe version
of Visio)...this one might be worth a look.

> I have never tried to add to or alter its palettes (a tempting idea if
> you have an object-graphic application in mind that you want to chart)
> but I'd guess that it isn't too difficult, especially if you use an
> existing set as a template.

Hmmm...I'll definately reflect on this approach, making templates for
these "timeline" graphical objects...

>     rgb

Thanks for your feedback, greatly appreciated (at least I know I'm on a
known pathway ;)

ET