[Beowulf] cheap 48 port gigabit ethernet switch w/ jumbo frames?

Yaroslav Halchenko list-beowulf at onerussian.com
Sun Feb 26 21:13:32 PST 2006

Dear Beowulfers,

I came back to doing product-research on jumbo-framed switches, since I
need to get one for our cluster. Since our cluster is primaraly
load-balancing (nobody runs MPI), for now I just bridged few nodes
through the other nodes 2nd interface (I didn't use them for bonding).

Now we are about to extend a cluster a bit and I hate my bridging
solution so I am in the market for relatively good, inexpensive 48-port
switch (we need at least 30 ports for now) with Jumbo frames support
(which supposed to help NFS server).

Browsing the web I've found
http://www.dlink.com/products/?model=DGS-1248T&sec=2
which seems to be of a right price tag and claims to support jumbo
frames (and I doubt that I really need managed switch for internal
cluster network :-)).
Strange enough the online comparison to managed switches on the same
page
ftp://ftp10.dlink.com/pdfs/products/switches/dlink_websmart_vs_L2_4_managed_switches.pdf
shows that it DGS-1248T doesn't support Jumbo frames.
I am waiting on reply from D-Link presales which could clarify this
issue.

Unfortunately this model wasn't investigated by
http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~joe/jumbo-clean-gear.html
so I am not sure on how reliable claim on Jumbo frames support of this
particular piece.

Can anyone recommend any other suitable product?

Thank you in advance!
--
                                  .-.
                   Linux User    ^^-^^    [175555]