[Beowulf] S2466 Wake on Lan working, anyone?

David Mathog mathog at mendel.bio.caltech.edu
Tue Feb 22 12:23:45 PST 2005

Does _anybody_ have wake on lan working with Tyan's S2466
motherboards?

I know this has been asked before but hopefully
since the last time around somebody has made it work.

With:
   Tyan S2466M
   2.6.8-1 kernel
   3c59x driver
   v4.06 BIOS

I tried putting:

options 3c59x enable_wol=1

in /etc/modprobe.conf then did poweroff. This modified from
the instructions here (URL may wrap):

http://homepage.mac.com/felipe_alfaro/iblog/B1004527421/C1515218762/E66260423/

Unfortunately a subsequent

  ether-wake -D -i eth1  00:e0:81:22:ba:84  (also with -b)

did nothing.  The ethernet activity light is blinking on the powered
off node, so there is at least power to the (on board) NIC.

/var/log/messages shows these possibly relevant lines:

Feb 22 11:55:04 monkey04 kernel: PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at
0xfd7d0, last bus=2
Feb 22 11:55:04 monkey04 kernel: 0000:02:08.0: 3Com PCI 3c905C Tornado
at 0x2000. Vers LK1.1.19

Now as I understand it PCI 2.1 requires a header cable for WOL.
The little blue Tyan user's manual does not indicate the location
of such a header.  It could be on J12 I suppose, since half the
pins there are not documented.  The book does document a
LAN disable header which describes the on board ethernet
as "3COM 3C905C."  The little blue book also says that the board
is a PCI 2.2 spec, and 2.2 doesn't require such a header.  In any
case as far as the PCI version goes there's some discrepancy
between what is showing up in messages and what Tyan has documented.

The BIOS appears not to have a WOL entry that can be turned on/off
or a password set.

Thanks,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu