[Beowulf] MyPBS but for SGE5/6?

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Fri Jun 25 00:10:58 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 21:20, Mark C. Ballew wrote:
> I saw that Eric Wages posted about Maine.edu's MyPBS project a few
> mintues ago, and it looks very interesting. Unfortunately, my site uses
> SGE 5 and soon 6. Are there any packages similar to MyPBS out there for
> SGE?

>From what I've found, in SGE 5 you have to analyze the accounting file
yourself. If you search the archives, someone has published a Perl
script which will parse the accounting file and produce graphs.
http://gridengine.sunsource.net/servlets/ReadMsg?msgId=10104&listName=users

For SGE 6, there is a sophisticated reporting package.
This is part of the commercial Sun N1GE

Have a look at: http://bioteam.net/dag/gridengine-6-features.html

The output of qstat can now be in xml, so this can help if you
are parsing this yourself.

ps. There is no difference now between SGE and SGE Enterprise Edition.
This was found to be confusing.
The N1GE commercial side shares the same codebase, it is distinguished
by the addition of monitoring, reporting and accounting features.
I think Sun are not to be faulted for this - they're giving us some
pretty good software for gratis, and following the open source model
of making their living from adding on extras and expertise which
researchers and companies may want.