Cabinets for rackmount cases

Mark Hahn hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca
Thu Mar 14 14:07:13 PST 2002

> If you really want to see how hot a AMD processor gets see the following
> url:

I'm COMPLETELY speaking through my hat here, but according to the specs,
AMD is not as egregiously hot as people make them out to be.  here's
a graph of the thermal design power specs for .18 uM Xeon and AthlonXP chips,
as well as the new .13 Xeons:
	http://hahn.mcmaster.ca/~hahn/tdp.png

graph is rated GHz on x, TDP watts on y.  I'm hoping that "thoroughbred"
chips from AMD (recently confirmed for release this month) to show up
at under 50W for 2 GHz.

incidentally, dual prestonia 2.2's run real nice with HT in a compaq w8000 ;)

ps: yes, I'm showing AMD chips at their "rated GHZ", not true clock,
but I think that's fair.  I'm also not showing the true/max/worstcase
power dissipation that you'd get by adding up all the max V*I's.
it also seems clear that more vendors implement decent power-savings
modes on P4 systems than Athlon systems - in particular, I'm not sure
anyone is shipping K7 systems that properly turn off their external bus PLL...

regards, mark hahn.