Cabinets for rackmount cases

Velocet math at velocet.ca
Thu Mar 14 14:13:03 PST 2002

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 04:16:11PM -0500, Steve Gaudet's all...
> Dear Hao,
>
> > I am going to set up a cluster with rackmount cases.
> > I found some web stores where we can get the cases and sliding rails,
> > but I could not find the cabinets to contain the cases.
> > Can anyone recommend some place where we can buy the cabinets
> > for rackmount systems?
>
> Here's my .02 worth of advice.  First, check with the motherboard company
> your looking to use for approved cases.  If the case your looking to use
> isn't on their approved list ask the case company if they have a test
> certification of approved motherboards.  If they haven't your own your own.
>
> Keep in mind, you also want approved processor speed tests.  Can't stress
> this enough with dual AMD solutions.  The higher the speed the hotter the
> system.  I've found only a few case companies have actually done this work,
> CiDesign and AIC to name a few.
>
> If you really want to see how hot a AMD processor gets see the following
> url:
>
> <http://www.handyscripts.co.uk/trubador_egg.htm>

I really wanna see how hot it gets with a shitty heat sink and fan, a medium
quality one and a high quality one.

That would give me something easier to understand than the egg which I really
have no experience with. :) (-etoomuchcoffee errors however I might have
experience with when playing with some old 486s around here some time ago....
;)

What about all these almost no-name brand heatsinks that are relatively
large and heavy, stuck on with some arctic silver heatsink goo and a
thick 1 inch fan thats over 5000 rpm? they're all supposedly 'athlon
xp1900+ approved' - are they? or is everything crap unless it comes
from AMD directly? What kind of risk are we running getting these kinds
of systems in real cases? in 4,2 and 1U cases? How much extra is getting
all AMD-aproved gear? Doesnt this limit us to not buying Tyan Tiger gear
which is unapproved?

/kc

Ken Chase, math at velocet.ca  *  Velocet Communications Inc.  *  Toronto, CANADA