multiple processes on laptop

Ivan Pulleyn ivan at
Mon Dec 23 18:44:08 PST 2002

Do the jobs actually run slowly, or just spawn slowly? It might be DNS
problems. Assuming a somewhat standard Linux machine, you could change
the hosts line in /etc/nsswitch.conf from

	hosts:      files nisplus dns

	hosts:      files

Add localhost.localdomain and your laptops hostname to /etc/hosts. Try
again while offline to see if it's faster.